Other Helpful Resources
- Statewide Health Insurance Benefit Advisors (SHIBA): Part of the insurance commissioner’s consumer protection services, SHIBA provides free, unbiased, and confidential assistance with Medicare and health care choices. Call 1-800-562-6900 or visit their website at http://www.insurance.wa.gov/about-oic/what-we-do/advocate-for-consumers/shiba/.
- Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB)/Health Care Authority (HCA): For everything you want to know about state employee and retiree healthcare plans and benefits, call 1-800-200-1004 or visit their website at http://www.pebb.hca.wa.gov/.
- Social Security: Call 1-800-772-1213 or visit their website at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/.
- Department of Retirement Systems (DRS): For information about your pension benefits, retire and rehire, forms, self-estimates, and legislative updates, call 1-800-547-6657 or visit the DRS website at www.drs.wa.gov. Also, prospective retirees can access important information about the rules, regulations, and timelines regarding the decision to retire.
- Washington State Investment Board: For information about how billions of dollars in investments for state retirement and other public trust fund assets are being managed and are performing, visit www.sib.wa.gov.
- AARP: For a wealth of information about Senior advocacy (particularly health care and prescription drugs) visit https://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/nrta/.
- State of Washington: Go to the state’s homepage at https://access.wa.gov/ for information on who your current legislators are and how to contact them; how to order and submit many state forms for licenses, patents, and copyrights; and how to search for part time employment.
- Additional aging and senior care resources: For information about assisted living and other care options, visit https://www.caring.com/senior-living/assisted-living/. For this information specific to Washington State, visit https://www.caring.com/senior-living/assisted-living/washington.